Saturday, April 19, 2014

Ubud Sans Yoga. Yes but why?

This cover is the only thing
Ubud and Ibiza
have in common.
Ubud, Bali is a fantastic place.

I hear myself say that a lot, although sometimes I get somehow confused when my interlocutor  comes up with mind blowing question such as "And why is that?"

Is it the diversity of origins and life stories you find when talking to people you meet there? Is it the eye scorching contrast between the many sub-communities of the place? Is it the soothing warm tropical climate and its corollary scores of topless simians (bottomless, too, as far as I've noticed)?

It's a bit of everything.

Set aside its hedonistic overtones,  the whole of Bali is a giant magnet for post-divorcee, broken hearts and refreshment seekers from all over the planet (or even Australia), as well as a good share of more or less successful entrepreneurs. Since long before a certain movie about Julia Roberts filling her stomach while fornicating inside places of devotions, spiritual travelers have been coming in as many flavors as it take to prepare a raw rainbow fruit cake.

Ubud, while being drastically different from the party oriented south of the island, shares the same kind of attractive power. Ten years ago, when the two streets and hundreds stray dogs that made this little town were known as "The Village of the Painters", Ubud had already become a safe harbor for a handful of peace loving individuals, if only a happy few.

The place is now teeming with life and offers more activities than most of the middle sized cities I know. Eateries, art studios, gyms, music shops and cafes, cafes, cafes for all tastes from the most sinful to the healthiest possible choice, a museum, temples, dance performances, jam session, open mic, salsa and, I'm sure, much more I am completely missing out. Also, a coffee festival, a writer festival, book launchings at every corner, a gong show (I skid you not) and... well, a spirit festival.

Ouch, I said it. Spirit festival.
Ouch, I said it again.

You're probably thinking "Why is that" and the mere echo of your thoughts leaves me feeling cornered. I'll oblige you with an answer.

It is nowadays impossible to walk up and down Ubud without crossing path with several members of the new-age yoga tribe. It is, on the contrary, perfectly possible in some areas or establishment to walk around and see nothing but.

Now, before you accuse me of hippie-hatred (why, never!) or being an agent 666 (or something), let it be clear that, fundamentally, I have nothing against our oh so colorful bohemian flower-childs. After all, you and I are dreamweavers of the totality... Nonetheless, not dissimilar to the everlasting vibrations of our co-creating energies, the new age trend is wrapping itself around the town's reputation like an opaque yet floral curtain.

As to be expected from a large concentration of the same interests, poseurs, quacks and random bullshiters are now on the rise around the perfectly sociable core of the community they pretend to belong to. As a result, some 'profane' blood is now understandably starting to boil in the view of 'sacred' menstrual cycle rituals, several kinds of 'sacred' lovemaking and other third eye openers.

Things being what they are (and even more today than they were before), the same people rise their voices against the fall of Mother Logic and the gradual association of Ubud with a number of those nonsensacred practices. Then, tend to rant and go home, not knowing how to sort out all those blasted dropouts when we're not even done with the hipsters yet.

Here, at Ubud Sans Yoga (cue the family factory somewhere in the Alps), we provide them, you, ourselves, solutions to voice out your concern. You can contact me on my Facebook profile http://www.facebook.com/brutal.opinions should you wish to contribute as much as I wish you to do so.

Ubud is, as said earlier, much more than its yoga/new age crowd and I feel that a blog dedicated to Ubudian's experience about everything BUT new age is the best way to let the world know about how fucking awesome the place is.

Oops I said fucking.
Well, it's a sacred thing by someone's standards... we'll survive.


PS: I'm not selling anything, stop looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment